In 2014, we purchased a property at 227 Simcoe Street S in Oshawa, and worked with a local architect to design a new, fully-accessible facility, with a bright and spacious dining hall, a fully-equipped Kitchen, and a thrift shop for our many patrons in need of clothing and household goods. Unfortunately, this vital new facility was delayed as soon as construction started at the site – extensive existing soil issues were discovered, and DOFN exhausted our entire building fund remediating the site, even though the site had been verified as ready when we purchased it. This unforeseen complication nearly devastated our efforts. Thankfully, through the generosity of J.J. McGuire and other fundraising efforts, we were able to get construction on the kitchen underway, and foundations were completed earlier this year. To complete the construction, we need to raise another $1.5 Million.
Although a lengthy process, DOFN has hired legal counsel (William F Kelly Professional Corporation) to assist in the process of recovering funds due to the improper environmental that occurred.
The soil remediation and environmental process has been completed and the foundation has since been built and filled out.
Once the fundraising process is near complete DOFN will move ahead full force in completing construction. There will be roughly a 2-6-week period of negotiating with trades and then DOFN is looking at an estimated 8-month timeline to complete the new construction.
Durham Outlook Construction Update
Please visit our Facebook Page & Instagram Page for videos/photos in real time updates @DurhamOutlook .
- DOFN building work being completed update. August 23, 2021
- Construction Begins! May 7th, 2021
- Excavated the interior and exterior surfaces for foundation. May 10-13, 2021
- Pour concrete for the ramp at the side of the building. (Hemlock side) This is the entrance for our patrons. May 14 -18, 2021
- Poured concrete for the loading dock at the back of the building. This is also where the parking lot will be. May 18-20, 2021
- Poured concrete for steps to back entrance. May 25, 2021
- Form and Grout Levelling Plates being completed. June 1-3, 2021
- Under ground plumbing is being completed. June 1-4, June 7-11, 2021
- Placing 30 mm of stone. June 14-15, 2021
- Passive venting pipe installation. June 16-18, 2021
- Placing another 150 mm of stone June 23-24, 2021
- Passive venting liner installed. June 25, 2021